Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Right Thing




There is a group of people that I know who have taken some bold steps to do the right thing.  These folks are courageous and strong in a way that amazes me.  They're not fighting a war with guns and weapons.  They're fighting a war of another kind.  It comes back to that 'right thing.' 

I work with young people.  I love it!  Their passion and enthusiasm is captivating.  They haven't yet learned to be fearful of unseen consequences.  They just dive into life and their love of it is contagious! 

I also work with adults.  I love it, too!  Their wisdom and courage is inspiring.  They understand, very well, that there will be consequences for their actions.  Some will be good and others will be not so good.  And they live their lives anyway.

The question has been addressed to me, several times over the past few weeks, by both groups, "How do you know what 'the right thing' is?" 

I wish I had a really good answer.  What I know is this: the right thing is usually not the easiest thing.  It's usually not about you, rather it will be focused on others.  Many times it's not your first choice, you'd rather do something else.  The right thing is complicated and messy and there is a great possibility that someone will be hurt in the process.

So why do the right thing? Obviously, many people don't.  It's just too hard.  But when you do, when you complete the process and reach your goal, the rewards are magnificent!  There are few words to describe the feeling you have inside, that only you can know.  You will feel grateful.  You will feel honored.  You will feel content and peaceful. 

And you'll feel able to take on the next challenge.  You'll do 'the right thing.'

Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause.  
Isaiah 1:17       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting with us today! We always appreciate your input or questions.